Saturday, October 30, 2010

Vocabulary Post

1. Lunatic
Every once in a while I get some lunatic thinking that sending me a bribe, is going to get me off their case.
--- Silly in a wild way
Gary is lunatic because He is always acting crazy.

2. Intrigued
“How do you know these people so well?” I whisper, intrigued
---to interest someone a lot, especially by being strange, unusual or mysterious
Throughout history, people have been intrigued by the question of whether there is intelligent life in the universe.

3. raucously
At this the girls laugh raucously.
---sounding loud and rough
They are laughing raucously while the clown is making a trick on a volunteer audience.


4. Compensate
Candy never compensates and gets places a bit late.
---to provide something good to balance or reduce the bad effects of damage, loss, etc.
The company compensated him for the extra hours he worked.


5. Titter
Brain grins and Tracy titters.
---to laugh quietly, especially in a nervous or embarrassed way.
A couple of the classmates tittered at teacher's smutty jokes.


6. Relevant
“Not relevant,” he says firmly. “What I want to know is what happened to employees from companies that HG has merged with in the past.”
---closely connected with the subject you are discussing or the situation you are thinking about.
A good comments should be directly relevant to the problem or inquiry.

7. Terrace
I hear Mike go out onto the terrace and decide to have a quick nose around his flat.
---a flat, hard area, especially outside a house or restaurant, where you can sit, eat and enjoy the sun.(a row of often small houses joined together along their side walls)
In the summer night, people enjoy going to the terrace to watch the stars in the sky and let the cool wind blow slowly at their faces.



8. Emanate
There are delicious smells emanating from the kitchen.
---to produce or show something, or to express a quality or feeling through the way that you look and behave.
Great sadness emanated from her song while she was singing on the stage.


9. Questionnaire
The thing is, once I started looking at the Pensions questionnaire properly, I realized that actually a lot of it needed changing.
---a written list of questions that are answered by a number of people so that information can be collected from the answers
The questionnaire is designed to collect data of the new product to find out the potential market.



10. Crumple
Out of the window I see the Mini crumpled into the back of Mike’s BMW, an James is bumbling around pretending to look for his insurance detail while Mike stares at the damage, aghast.
---to crush something into folds; to become crushed into folds
She crumpled the letter up into a ball and threw it on the fire.


11. Intercom
I nod and walk over to press the intercom buzzer.
---a system of communication by telephone or radio inside an office, plane, etc; the device you press or switch on to start using this system
Visitors have to contact residents by intercom in order to go in this apartment.

12. Pathetic
I said loudly”Just leave me bloody well alone. You are a pathetic bastard.”
---making someone feel no respect, often because unsuccessful or showing no ability, effort or bravery.
In life, the most pathetic thing is not separation nor death, it is your inability to appreciate what you have.

13. Stagger
I stagger to my feet and my head starts throbbing as I pull on a robe.
---to cause someone to feel shocked or surprised because of something unexpected or very unusual happening
Because he was staggered by the news of his father's death, he was shocked and almost fell down.


14. Strategic
“Unfortunately for them, our investors did not take kindly to being told about the strategic direction of the company by worried employees, and so the merger talks have been suspended.”
---done as part of a plan that is meant to achieve a particular purpose or to gain an advantage
The company try to figure out the strategic decision to force it's enemy compnay to sell off of the business.


15. Immerse
I pad to the bathroom and immerse myself in the hot soapy water, washing the morning’s events away.
---to put something or someone completely under the surface of a liquid, or to become or make somebody completely involved in something
He immersed his feet into the warm water to rest after going hiking in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment