Saturday, November 6, 2010

Journal #1

A character analysis based on the quote

On the page 6
I don't know exactly, but David and I have watched "Roman Holiday" at least twenty times, and I never get bored of it- it's so sad, so funny, it's set in gorgeous Rome, and Audrey Hepburn looks just amazing.

Explains and supports
From the information above, we infer Georgie is romantic and emotional. She likes to imagine that she is a princess and is going to have the adventure with her prince in Rome. She thinks Rome is a country that are full of beautiful buildings, wonderful temperatures(or weather) and history background. She believes that everything miracle could happen if she gets a chance to go to Rome. She likes to daydreaming because she has watched "Roman Holiday" many time and never gets tired of it. She has watched that movie so many times ,so we can know that she really hopes that she could go to Rome to experience the same thing that had happen on Audrey. She loves romantic stuff and likes to day-dreaming. Perhaps, her life is full of pressure or not go smoothly as she expects to be. In this reason, she chooses to watch that movie to satisfied her imagination or release her pressure. At least, she still gets the moment that she can enjoy her own magic or romantic kingdom when she watches movies.

Why the quote is important to the novel?
We could infer that she is venturesome from the quote. She is a venturesome person because she isn't afraid to face challenges and prefer having a exciting life. For example, she symbolizes herself Audrey, who is England princess in the movie because she maybe also has a normal and boring too. She wants to go to Rome to experience the brand new world and fall in love with someone who really know her thoughts. Besides, working at the big city London makes her life routine and busy. She is tired of pretending game in the real world. She wants to do whatever she wants to do instead of being the person who tries to be perfect and follow all instructions to meet the other's social expectation.


Most important of all, She hopes that she could find someone who care about her and always read her mind to please her. It says "a faithful friend is hard to find." In the real world, it is really hard to find a person who really know your both appearance and inner thoughts. Georgie needs someone who would respect her thoughts and share advices with her. Also ,she doesn't like people surround her to cheat on her or hide secrets from her. She reflects herself as a princess(Audrey) who could never listen the truth of herself because people surround pretend to be nice to please her to get help or benefits from her. She prefers hearing the truth rather than guessing and discussing with others.

Why the quote is significant to me?
I think this quote is significant to me because I am the person who like to day-dream too. There are also some similarities between Georgie and me. First, I like to travel around the world to see the countries which have different culture and history background from my country. I also hope I would have a chance to go to Rome one day.I like to imagine how the life would be if I go there. I enjoy meeting new people and experiencing the new thing. Having an exciting adventure is one of my wishes. Also, I am tired of my work sometimes and hope I could find a place to hide or relax for a while. Though I am only a high school student, I still have a lot of thing to think and do. For example, I need to meet the teachers' expectation to got the high mark to apply for good university. Besides, I got to figure out the job that I want to do in the future. However my parents give me lots of pressure and advices which will affect my thinking while I am choosing my career. There are so much things that are waiting for me to do and I want to scream and find an island where there is nobody can find me and disturb my life.

Connect this quote to the "bigger picture "
Nowadays, mos of people live under the great pressure. They have to work hard and act in the certain ways to meet other's or social expectation. Watching movie or TV makes them relax because they can build their own kingdom while they are watching them. Though it only takes two to three hours to watch the movies, they are still very satisfied. They have a chance to stay in their imagination for a while ,and there is no rule to restrain their behavior and thinking. However ,it is very important to wake up from the dreams. Though dreams are wonderful and full of happiness, they are not real at all. Some people choose to live in their own world instead of solving their problems. Problems are not going to be solved by others or just disappear until you start to figure out the way to solve them. No matter how long you run away from problems, the problems are still there. We need to learn how to face the challenge and solve them instead of avoiding them.

No comments:

Post a Comment